County Warm Bed Program Active in Face of Approaching Storm
With Winter Storm Juno impacting Nassau, County Executive Edward P. Mangano reminded residents that WARMBED, Nassau County’s Emergency Shelter Relief Program for homeless individuals and families during the winter months, is active.
The Nassau County Winter Homeless Hotline, WARMBED, operates 7 days a week and runs through March 31st. If winter conditions persist beyond March 31st, the program will continue until warmer weather arrives.
Between the hours of 6 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and Friday from 6 p.m. through Monday at 8 a.m., employees from WARMBED and the Department of Social Services (DSS) will make appropriate referrals and provide shelter placement. Once placed, the staff at DSS and the Office of Housing & Community Development will contact those who are homeless in order to access resources for permanent housing. County Executive Mangano also urges Nassau’s homeless veterans to take advantage of the WARMBED program, where they will be assisted by the Nassau County Veterans Services Agency.
During the 2013/2014 season, a total of 192 individuals were housed by the WARMBED program. These referrals included 75 single adults and 40 families comprised of 44 adults and 73 children.
NASSAU COUNTY HOMELESS HOTLINE (WARMBED): 1-866-927-6233 (1-866- WARMBED)
* For the Town maintained roads, mainly the residential streets in Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh and Seaford, call: Town of Hempstead: 516-489-5000
* For Village maintained roads: Village of Freeport: 516-377-2289
* For County maintained roads, the main roads, such as Merrick Avenue and Merrick Road, call: Nassau County: 516-571-6900
* State maintained roads, such as Sunrise Highway and the Meadowbrook and Southern State Parkways, call: New York State D.O.T: 631-904-3059
Information on mass transit service:
* LIRR travel info center: 718-217-5477 or www.mta.info/lirr
* NICE Bus travel information: 516-228-4000 or www.nicebus.com
* NYC Transit travel information: 718-330-1234 or www.mta.info